Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday Writings: Is That So?

Writing prompt # 1. Write a poem inspired by the last conversation you had with your child.


I wrote down a conversation I had with a little girl in my grandson’s class on Monday. I found it amusing. My intent was to write a poem but then I read in Wiki-how that prose (ordinary speech used in everyday speaking) could become poetry just by breaking the conversation into natural breaks creating a rhythm in the words. So I took a stab at it--



Are you Bear’s grandma?
I am Bear’s grandma.
Some grandmas have gray hair.
Yes they do.
My grandma doesn’t have gray hair.
How nice.
Some grandmas wear glasses
I like your glasses
Why thank you sweetie.
Sometimes Bear is mean to me.
He is?
You should tell him to be nice.
I do.
He’s still mean to me.
(sigh—
my oh so loveable grandson
Is mean
To girls)






more stories at Mama Kat's
Give me your best shot at Better in BulkPhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli

16 comments:

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Sweet. I love your poetry. It paints a beautiful picture of you on the inside. Have a happy week.

De said...

I like your poem.

I do.

Postcards from Wildwood said...

I love this, Kaye. So sweet. Poetry has always been something of a mystery for me, but I agree that this does have the feel of a poem about it. And maybe that's a way in....?

Jenners said...

WOw … that totally worked. It does seem very poetic. I'm very sad that your grandson is mean to girls though. Sigh.

Janie said...

Cute poetic prose, Kaye! It's so interesting to interact with kids and learn more about their interactions.

Staci said...

I loved it! You seriously have a gift for writing!!

Jenn and Casey said...

Aww! That's so sweet. What a great idea.

Jenni said...

How creative! I love it. :)

Jamie said...

Love it. Was right there with you.

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Beautiful prose! And I love the picture. It's lovely in black and white and the focus is quite nice.

Tayskye said...

What a great idea!
I never thought about simply breaking things up like that before.

Very darling little conversation.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

JDaniel knows they exist but, won't play with them at school.

christina said...

super sweet. :)

Jen said...

that is so sweet. :)

The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

Now that was very clever and such a creative way to capture a moment. I'm not so sure I could pull it off so well though.

Kimberly Speranza said...

I love this poem for its voice and sweet yet slightly bittersweet feel. I also enjoy that you explained your process. Some stories have a tenacious quality and will not go away until they are told.

my read shelf:
Kaye's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

reading goal

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
kelley has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

book covers

books read in 2014

Evertrue
I Am a Mother
Divergent
Insurgent
For Times of Trouble
Allegiant
Assisted: An Autobiography of John Stockton


kelley's favorite books »

Middle Earth

Middle Earth
Interactive Map

wanderers on my road

Google+ Followers

those wandering the road most often

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin